reading The Mitten, you will use the internet to research one of the animals found in the
story. Please read the directions below and complete the activity.
1. Read The Mitten by Jan Brett.
2. Choose one animal from the story to research.
3. Click here to get a research
guide for this activity.
4. Locate the print icon on the tool bar of your
browser. (Ask your teacher before printing.) Print a copy of the research guide.
5. Click here to find
links to the animal you chose to research.
6. Record your information on the research guide you
7. Click here to go to Jan Brett's home page and print
an animal mask for the animal you researched.
8. Attach the animal mask to the front of your
research report and turn in to your teacher.
How your work will be graded:
Did you follow the directions?
Did you choose one animal to research?
Did you include at least four facts from the research guide
in your paper?
Did you use the writing process?
a. Choose one animal
to focus on?
b. Group related
c. Include descriptive
d. Revise writing for
e. Edit final copy for
grammar, capitalization, punctuation, and spelling
Did you print and attach an animal mask as the cover of your